Thursday 14 May 2015

Modernism in Berlin - along the Landwehrkanal...

Architecture and Architectural photography always had a special place in my work. Looking through the ground glass of a camera and contemplating materials, texture, form, light and shadows is truly inspiring.
Architecture is a form of art where the final work can be not only admired  but also touched and used depends on its function. 
In my researches I am focused mostly on one and the only modernism with its fascinating simplicity, beautiful minimalistic form and raw materials. 
Creation of genuine designers. Creation with magic power of attraction. 
At the same time I am absolutely aware of the fact that for me it is almost like an obsession…and I am not afraid of using this word.
Once I know what I will be working with it sticks in my head for good. When I started my adventure with photography I thought it is just a temporary feeling and my mind will get cleared once I press the shutter but no, it stays…stays until I process negatives and then until I print them or just scan…and even after that. 

This is exactly what happened on my recent challenge - modernist architecture in Berlin.
It’s all started once I left the airport and got into the train. 
Late evening in the hotel. Couple of hours for preparation. Checking of all equipment, packing it in the best possible way, last look at the notes related to plans... what, where, when and how... and off to bed. 
…And of course I woke up 2.30am... There was no chance to get back to sleep. The plan for the day was too exciting. Looking at the ceiling I survived until about 5am and just left hotel. 
The sun was already there. Cafe over the corner open 24/7 helped me to get more energy. Coffee and cigarette… and a few minutes later I was sitting in the train going to my first location.

As I mentioned in my previous article (Modernism in Berlin - prologue) there was not much time for detailed photography of each object. Too much to see, too much to feel… 
The over all idea was to show the simple beauty of photographed buildings and places, their versatility and diversity.
What I will present in this particular article is a few photographs I made actually at the very end of the second day, the last day.

Two buildings created for similar purpose. Both located very close to each other and both equally amazing:



The Neue Nationalgalerie

A classic example of modernist structure. Creation of  the master Ludwig Mies van der Rohe.
'(...) a temple to art on a man-made acropolis
/David Spaeth. Mies Van Der Rohe. London: The Architectural Press, 1985. p176/.


Gallery was opened in 1968. It was built on sloping terrain and consist of two levels where the top one is the open space entrance level and major exhibition hall. The lower one fits office, storage space, shop, cafe and smaller gallery. 
Main hall and the most important part of the building is covered by floating roof plane with only two columns on each side. Truly beautiful and simple.

The Neue Nationalgalerie ©Artur Sikora

The Neue Nationalgalerie ©Artur Sikora

When I was planning this project I had an idea to photograph Gallery at night with its internal light to emphasise the beauty of the space and overall structure. I did it about 6 years ago but wasn't really happy with the result. 
I visited Gallery back then to see extraordinary Paul Klee exhibition 'The Klee Universe'. 
My plan however wasn't possible to fulfil this time. Gallery has been closed for several years due to ongoing renovation after over 40 years of constant use. The major work will be handled by David Chipperfield (!) .

There was also large construction site on the other side of the road where I decided to set my camera. Not much space left but with help of smaller than LF camera, Hasselblad and wide angle lens I did what I wanted.

Building across the road with mentioned construction site around it's the Staatsbibliothek (Berlin State Library) which was also on my list and suppose to be one of the most important element of my trip. It was designed by Hans Scharoun and Edgar Wisniewski and opened in 1978. I visited it also in 2009. Absolutely amazing building which was shown so well in masterpiece 'Wings of desire' by Wim Wenders. Unfortunately after several requests for permission to photograph Interior of this treasure, permission was not granted for some reason.

                                                                     ...

I packed everything and moved towards the last building from my list…
Before that however on the way there is another very interesting structure - the Shell-House designed by Emil Fahrenkamp and finished in 1932. It is another absolutely classic example of modernist architecture. 
Its complicated (for equipment I was working with that day) location however and limited time made it impossible to photograph it in the way I would love to. 

Time to move on.

It was very cloudy with showers every now and then and weather was getting even worse. 
After 20 minutes I managed to set camera in the front of the destination building before getting wet.

Bauhaus Archive

Bauhaus was in the early 20th century modernist aesthetic movement and educational philosophy. It was founded as a school by Walter Gropius in Weimar. Bauhaus members include mentioned before Paul Klee, Wassily Kandinsky, Oskar Schlemmer and Lyonel Feininger. 

Bauhaus Archiv ©Artur Sikora
Bauhaus Archive is a documentation centre and exhibition space which was founded in 1960 and opened in 1961 in Darmstadt. After political decision of moving it to Berlin, original building designed by Walter Gropius in 1964 was redesigned according to new site and built by Gropius associate Alec Cvijanovic in cooperation with local architect Hans Bandel.
Only characteristic roof remained from original Gropius design.


Bauhaus Archiv ©Artur Sikora

I believe some of you who share my interest for architecture understand the overwhelming amount of history in described places, collection of unique and fascinating forms.
I would love to spend at least a day with each building to be able to show its real meaning.
Maybe one day...

Soon In another couple of articles I will present here more photographs of other buildings and places I visited.
Full information about mentioned architects and buildings they designed are widely available online. Just follow attached links please.

Also any comments or questions are more than welcome. 

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment